Uh Oh! You’re Gonna Have To Pray This Time

Then the word of the Lord came to Isaiah, saying, 5 “Go and say to Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of your father David, “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will add fifteen years to your life. 6 I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city.”(Isaiah 38:5, 6)


King Hezekiah was terminally ill and facing an attack from the south. He was told by the prophet Isaiah to get his house in order, because he was about to die. Upon hearing this fatal prognosis King Hezekiah didn’t summons a praying grandmother. Neither did he ask the prophet to speak life. Those are good lyrics for great church songs, but in real life you will face situations that grand momma’s prayers can’t reach. And, as for today’s self-proclaimed prophets, I’m not a judge, but the bible says In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1, 2).

Long as you got King Jesus, you won’t need nobody else to “speak a word” for you. Okay, enough of the gospel song lyrics.
King Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to God. It was he and God alone. We must develop a personal prayer life. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. " (Mathew 6:6) 

Please understand that there is nothing wrong with corporate prayer. However, it is not a substitute for one on one communication with God. And, when you pray, please stop reciting the same old religious jargon like:

“Plant my feet on solid ground.” I personally don’t want to be stuck in cement.

“Open doors that are closed in my face.” Do you really want the elevator doors to open while it’s moving?

You must come to God authentically and transparently, because He already knows all about you and what you're going through. You can’t “fake the funk” with God.

Let’s pray:

Lord, you know I’m a mess. Thank you for not exposing and annihilating me. Thank you for loving me enough to wake me up one more time to receive new mercies and another opportunity to surrender to your will for my life. Dear Father, thank you for saving me. Help me to demonstrate love and forgiveness towards others, because you are loving and forgiving me. Strengthen me in your word and through prayer, so that I can share your gospel with others and make disciples for you. God save everybody. Amen

Comments