SWEET JESUS

One of the things I’ve done longer than preach God’s Word is to give praise to God through song. I started playing the piano when I was a small boy. Word on the street is that when I was three years old my older siblings broke into Christmas morning to steal a peek at what Santa had copped for us. Staying true to my M.O.....I followed them.

They meticulously unwrapped the corners of each gift. Insatiably driven by their lust for new stuff they did not realize that I had fallen victim to a strange new piece of furniture sitting in the living room. Mesmerized by the black and white shiny keys of the new piano I climbed up on the stool unbeknownst to my partners in crime. Needless to say, our cover was blown. WE were busted. I didn't care. I had to play the piano.

I later struck a deal with the authorities at the church. In exchange for an uninterrupted service, they allowed me to sit at the old and unused wooden piano during the service. The conditions of my arraignment was that I could only play when the steel guitar player and drummer played. It didn't matter that no one could hear me. I was playing for me. Over the course of my life I've written and played several songs to myself.

A few years ago a multi-talented singer from Brooklyn, NY named Derek R. Payne, heard one of my songs entitled "Sweet Jesus" and later produced and recorded it. I was pleased with his interpretation and want to share it with you.

I wrote this song many years ago when I was struggling with my business. I was depressed, distressed, and disillusioned. Prayer led me back to my spiritual roots which are "when in trouble, need or doubt......call on The Name of Jesus."

Often, despite pending detriment and the absence of resolution, I experience an indescribable peace when I call on His Name.


WordPress plugin


9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: Philippians 2:9