Shrubs and Stones May Break My Bones


The other day I was trimming a row of shrubs situated along the brick wall of the church. Due to the tight space, I had to reach over the shrubbery to trim the backside. Big Mistake. The spirit in my back said "lay prostrate before the Lord, NOW!" I laid on the ground, slain in that spirit for about 10 minutes, until I heard a small voice say " Pastor Mark, you alright." One of the brothers had come by to use the Internet for school work. He tried to lift me, but the spirit in my back started singing that faithful hymn of old:

"I shall not....I shall not be moved"

Finally, my wife came and applied some back rubbing techniques she learned from somebody. I don't even want to know. All I know is that I was able to get up. We called a parishioner who had experience in physical therapy. She arrived with tools of the trade and worked on me for about 30 minutes. Wow! I felt so good that I went back out there to finish the job. And, finish, I did. However, when I turned to take the trimmer back inside, the spirit in my back came in like a mighty rushing wind. It was like fire shut up in my bones. I spoke in an unknown tongue. Strangely enough, everybody around me understood that I was testifying about the pain in my back. Nevertheless, few things are as painful as people you care about who smile in your face and talk about you behind your back. Surely, Stephen would say that it's worse than being stoned. Peter would certainly admit that it's worse than being hung upside down. Isaiah would have to testify that it's worse than being sawed in two with a wooden saw. You're being talked about? Child please!!!

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. “But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:17-21 (NASB)