God Changed Job's Worldview

God Changed Job's Worldview by Pastor Joe Burnett/Bethlehem Baptist Church 

Job

Some scholars believe that Job may have been the earliest story in the Old Testament. Job was a contemporary of Abraham and like Abraham, he had no written Scriptures and relied on oral tradition. Job was a very wealthy man who had a large family and a good life. Job loved God and everything seemed perfect.

Then one day without warning, his enemies attacked and killed his servants, fire fell from the skies and killed his animals, and all of his children died in a storm. Job was devastated! But even in this tragedy Job held on to his faith in God. Job had no idea of what was transpiring between God and Satan.

Then Job fell to the ground and worshipped God and said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I will depart. Yahweh gave and Yahweh has taken away; may the name of Yahweh be praised!” (Job 1:21-22)

While Job was in the middle of his grief, he was afflicted with boils from the crown of his head to the sole of his feet. These sores were very painful and there was nothing he could do to relive that pain. In the midst of his pain and suffering, three of his so-called friends came and suggested that his sinful choices was the reason for his suffering.

“Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever been punished?”                                             (Eliphaz Job 4:7)


Job’s response reveals his false assumptions and expectations about God. God was about to make a worldview adjustment to Job’s mindset, teaching him the truth about God. Job could never have understood these things had God not personally intervened Himself. Job could only learn these things through his experiences. Remember, Job had no Scriptures to comfort him, and the Holy Spirit did not live in Him as He does us.

So, what are some of Job’s assumptions about God that were false?

  • God is against me: What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil.  (Job 3:25-26) The arrows of the Almighty are in me; my spirit drinks their poison; God’s terrors are marshalled against me. (Job 6:4) When I think my bed will comfort me and my couch will ease my complaint, even then you frighten me with dreams and terrify me with visions. (Job 7:13-14) You bring new witnesses against me; your forces come against me wave after wave. (Job 10:17)

  • God is not good: Even if I summoned Him and he responded, I do not believe He would give me a hearing. He would crush me with a storm and multiply my wounds for no reason. He would overwhelm me with misery. (Job 9:16-18) 

  • God is not fair: It is all the same; that is why I say, “He destroys both the blameless and wicked.” When a land falls into the hands of the wicked, He blindfolds its judges. If it is not He, then who is it? (Job 9:22-24) Does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands, while you smile on the plans of the wicked? (Job 10:3)

  • God is not approachable: He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me that this terror would frighten me no more. Then I would speak up without fear of Him, but as it now stands, I cannot. (Job 9:32-35)

  • I am innocent, I don’t deserve this: If I am guilty – woe to me! Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head, for I am full of shame and drowned in my affliction. (Job 10:15) 

  • God is not present: If only I knew where to find Him, if only I could go to His dwelling! But if I go to the east, He is not there; if I go to the West, I do not find Him. When He is at work in the North, I do not see Him; when He turns to the South, I catch no glimpse of Him. (Job 23:3; 8-9)


Then God speaks truth to counter Job’s false assumptions:

  • Man cannot fathom God’s ways: Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge? (Job 38:2) 

  • God knows everything, is everywhere, and can do anything: Where were you when I laid the earths foundation? Tell me if you understand. What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places. Do you know the paths to their dwellings? Surely you know, for you were already born! Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?   (Job 38:4; 19-20; 37)

  • God is always fair and just: Will the one who contends with the Almighty to correct Him? Let him who accuses God answer Him! Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself? (Job 40:2; 8)


Job responds to God’s truth:

  • I am unworthy… (Job 40:4)

  • I spoke of things I did not understand… (Job 42:3)

  • I know your plans cannot be thwarted… (Job 42:2)

  • I repent… (Job 42:6)

Comments